Crime and Victim Services
Rights and Services for all crime victims
You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For application information, call 651-201-7300 or 888-622-8799, TTY: 651-205-4827, or go to the OJP website at: ojp.dps.mn.gov
You have the right to request that the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible.
You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money that is court-ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).
If you feel your rights as a crime victim have been violated, call the Crime Victim Justice Unit at 651-201-7310 or 800-247-0390 ext. 3.
Washington County victim witness program: 651-430-6139
Domestic Assault Victims
You can ask the city or county attorney to file a criminal complaint. You have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse. The order could include:
- An order restraining the abuser from further domestic abuse;
- An order directing the abuser to leave your household;
- An order preventing the abuser from entering your home, school business, or place of employment;
- An order awarding you or the parent custody of/or visitation of your minor child or children; and/or
- An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor if the abuser has a court order to do so
You have the right to notification if the prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.
- Tubman domestic abuse service 24-hour service line (shelters, advocacy, protection orders, and support/counseling): 651-770-0777
- Minnesota Day One crisis line (domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking): 866-385-2699
- Vine Service (inmate status, request notification of release): 866-294-8680 or www.vinelink.com
Sexual Assault Victims
Sexual Assault victims will no incur out of pocket expenses for forensic medical exams.
Canvas Health: 651-77-5222