Assistant Fire Chief
The City of Oakdale is accepting applications for the position of full-time Assistant Fire Chief. This position assists the Fire Chief in the management and administration of the fire department, provides leadership and supervision to the members of the department, responds to and assumes command responsibilities of emergency incidents, and assumes the duties of the Fire Chief in his/her absence.
The ideal Assistant Fire Chief candidate will have excellent communication skills, extensive knowledge of firefighting and EMS training and operations, is well-versed in the standards and methods of fire prevention, familiar with fire and life-safety related codes and ordinances, and is a proven leader.
Specific Duties Include:
- Oversees community fire education, fire investigation, and fire inspection programs.
- Responsible for overall administration and coordination of departmental training.
- Manages and evaluates fire department personnel and operations.
- Performs, in accordance with City guidelines, policies and departmental policies.
- Executes the delivery of fire/EMS related services according to prescribed procedures.
- Evaluates and makes recommendations for change to enhance the effectiveness of the department.
- Develops and maintains teamwork within the department.
An Associate Degree in Fire Science, Business, Public Administration, or related field. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for degree requirement.
- Licensed in Minnesota as a Fire Fighter.
- National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.
- At least eight years fire and EMS experience, with at least three years at a Fire Officer level.
- Valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance provider.
- Response time of 40 minutes or less from primary residence to an Oakdale Fire Department station, located at 6633 – 15th Street and at 5000 Hadley Avenue.
- 2020 Pay Range: $94,600 to $117,500, annually, based on a nine-step compensation plan that factors in longevity. Starting salary depending on qualifications and experience.
- Excellent benefits package includes health and dental insurance, PERA pension, 12 paid holidays, and ample PTO package.
Successful candidate must submit to and successfully pass a thorough background check, drug screen, physical fitness exam, and a psychological evaluation.
Interested applicants must submit an employment application, cover letter, and resume no later than noon on July 13, 2020. Application forms may be downloaded from the City of Oakdale’s website, www.ci.oakdale.mn.us. Applications may be mailed or emailed to:
City of Oakdale
Sue Barry, City Clerk
1584 Hadley Ave North
Oakdale, MN 55128