Special assessments are a percentage of the cost of a city project that is divided among each property owner affected by the project, based on property frontage and benefit from the project.
Special assessments may also be used to recover the cost of service charges including, but not limited to:
- Mowing charges for unkempt lawns
- Unpaid water and sewer bills
When to pay your special assessment:
- Pay entire amount with no interest by October 15
- Pay entire amount with interest accrued by November 15
- Pay portion of amount with each year's property tax statement with option to pay remaining balance
- Partial prepayments are also accepted (please see information below)
- Allow special assessment to be spread over the term and collected with property taxes. This option requires no action by property owner
The right to partially prepay the special assessment is available according to city ordinance. If you decide not to prepay the special assessment, interest rate and installment information is available upon request.
Under Minnesota Statute, Sections 435.193 to 435.195, the Council may, in its discretion, defer the payment of special assessments for any homestead property owned by a person 65 years of age or older for whom it would be a hardship to make the payments. When deferment of the special assessment has been granted and is terminated for any reason provided in that law, all amounts accumulated, plus applicable interest, become due.
Any assessed property owner meeting the requirements of this law and the ordinance adopted under it may, within 30 days of the confirmation of the assessment, are welcome apply to the Administrative Service Director.
Print the Deferred Special Assessment Application (PDF) and bring completed form to Oakdale City Hall, 1584 Hadley Avenue N during regular business hours or mail form to Suzanne Warren, City of Oakdale, 1584 Hadley Avenue N, Oakdale, MN 55128.