General Information

Basketball Hoops, Hockey Nets, Etc. in Boulevards & Streets

For safety reasons - your family's and City crews, recreational devices (i.e. basketball hoops, hockey nets, etc.) cannot be installed or placed in the right-of-way or boulevard areas of your yard or in public streets, even on a temporary basis.

Brush Disposal

Branches and other brush, under eight inches in diameter, are collected at Public Works, 1900 Hadley Avenue N, during regular business hours, Monday to Friday, 7 AM to 3:30 PM, from mid-April to the beginning of October. For fee information, please email Public Works or call 651-730-2740.

Buckthorn Wrenches

The Public Works Department has several sizes of buckthorn wrenches that you can borrow - at no charge! To reserve a wrench, please email Public Works or call 651-730-2740.

Christmas Tree Disposal

Each January, live evergreens may be taken to the Public Works facility, 1900 Hadley Avenue N, for a nominal fee, to be recycled. Evergreen wreaths and garlands cannot be accepted.

Hydrant Flushing

Typically in early May, all the hydrants throughout the City are flushed to clear out impurities, particularly iron deposits, that build up over the winter months. The flushing process may create a temporary interruption to your water service and/or discolor the water coming out of your faucet. In the case of discolored water, run the cold water for a few minutes.

Hydrant Usage 

If you see anyone taking water from a fire hydrant, please call 651-730-2740 immediately. After hours, please call 911.

Irrigation System Tips

  • Turn the system’s automatic function off. Adjust the controls manually when it needs water.
  • If you notice an area of your yard that needs more water, change the setting on that zone or adjust the sprinkler heads watering that specific area.
  • Consider using low-volume, low-angle heads. Adjust heads so the water is delivered as close to the turf as possible. This minimizes water lost to evaporation.
  • Observe your system in action. Adjust nozzles and irrigation duration as needed to ensure most efficient use of water possible. Make sure water is not sprinkling impervious surfaces such as sidewalks, roadways and driveways.
  • If you are considering the installation of an irrigation system or an upgrade to an existing system, look for water-saving irrigation system technology. It will reduce water use and save you money on your water and sewer bill for years to come.

Load Limits

During the spring thaw, the City's streets are weakened by water that becomes trapped in the gravel base below the pavement. The weight of vehicles can cause the road to bend, and if the surface is bent too far or too frequently, it cracks. As pavement ages, it becomes brittle and less able to withstand weight and movement and deteriorates at an accelerated pace. 

Weight restrictions are implemented each year in early spring in an effort to minimize the wear to the streets and to allow the base adequate time to stabilize. During this time, we ask that you avoid scheduling deliveries and remodeling projects. Please email Engineering or call 651-730-2734.

Parking by Mailboxes

To allow for the unobstructed delivery of mail, vehicles must park at least 10 feet away from either side of all mailboxes between the hours of 8 AM and 6 PM, Monday through Saturday.

Sewer Back-ups

Anyone experiencing a problem with their sewer system should notify the Public Works Department immediately at 651-730-2740. Call the City before you contact a drain cleaning service. 

The main sewer line will be investigated and the necessary action taken. If, however, the problem exists in the sanitary sewer service that connects the structure to the main sewer line, it would be the property owner's responsibility to have the problem corrected. If the correction involves cutting tree roots in the service line, property owners are asked to first call the Public Works Department at 651-730-2740. 

Note: many homeowners insurance policies exclude sewer back-ups, so homeowners are encouraged to talk to their agent about protection.

Storm Drains

Anything washed from your property into the street goes into storm drains and ultimately ends up in our wetlands, lakes, ponds and waterways. Some of the things that are contaminating our wetlands, lakes, ponds, and waterways include: oil and gasoline, grass clippings and fertilizer, pet droppings, leaves, paint and toxic household products. Although it may seem somewhat harmless to pour a bit of old paint or spilled fertilizer into the storm sewer, please consider that the plants and wildlife that depend on water to survive and to thrive are being adversely affected. 

Become a Storm Sewer Steward for the storm sewer near your property by removing leaves, grass, trash that collect at the grate. Should you see someone considering putting something other than water into the storm drain, please email Public Works or call 651-730-2740.

Sump Pumps

Please route outThe flow that enters the sanitary sewer system through toilets, wash tubs, and floor drains is sent to the treatment plant in Saint Paul. The flow is metered and Oakdale and its utility customers are charged for additional flow. If you use a sump pump, please note that it is illegal to discharge sump pumps into the sanitary sewer system (toilets, wash tubs, floor drains). Route discharge outside to your yard, the street, the storm sewer, or waterway.

Tire Disposal

Minnesota Mosquito Control will pick up tires, at no charge, during the summer months. Call 651-645-9149 to schedule a pick-up, or contact them on their website. Tires may also be taken to the Public Works facility, 1900 Hadley Avenue N, during regular business hours (7 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday), and disposed of, for a nominal fee, from May 1 to September 30.

Watering Lawns & Gardens

Water usage spikes during summer months, mostly as a result of lawn watering so it is critical that property owners practice smart lawn irrigation practices during this time. When watering in the summer, remember one inch of water per week, including rainfall, is all your lawn needs to remain healthy. Be sure to follow the City’s odd / even watering schedule (even numbered addresses water on even numbered days and odd on odd). Exemptions allowed are for new sod and seed on landscaping for the first three weeks and for businesses where the use of water is an essential element of their business).

Wells & Septic Systems

Please call Washington County at 651-430-6655 with questions or concerns about private wells or septic systems.

Wetlands & Ponds

Please remember to not dispose of grass clippings or animal excrement adjacent to ponding areas or in streets and sewers. Grass clippings and other materials adversely affect the water quality of our wetlands and lakes. Also, the area surrounding wetlands / ponds (generally 25 feet around the perimeter) is owned by the City or state and should not be maintained as an extension of a private yard. The natural growth around wetland serves as a filter to reduce or eliminate harmful sediments from entering the water and creating algae.