The Oakdale Fire Department offers a variety of information on ways you can keep you and your family safe.
2022 Fire Prevention Week
The National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) will sponsor the 100th Fire Prevention Week from October 9 to October 15, 2022. This year's theme is "Fire Won't Wait. Plan Your Escape." The Fire Prevention Week website provides a variety of resources to help people develop a fire safety plan including:
- Home Escape Plan Grid (downloadable PDF)
- Family Action Plan (downloadable PDF)
- Escape planning for older adults
The Oakdale Fire Department will also share tips for fire prevention throughout the week on the City of Oakdale Fire Department Facebook Page (OakdaleFD).
Recreational Fire Safety
One of our most frequently asked questions is about backyard and recreational fire guidelines. Backyard/recreational fires are allowed when:
Watch the video below from Oakdale's fire department on recreational fire safety.
- Single family homes have no restrictions where grills may be located. Common sense dictates that they be situated outdoors and several feet away from any structure.
- Apartments and Multi-Family Housing: Check with your management company to learn where grills may be located.
- View Grilling Safety Tips (PDF)
Turkey Fryer Safety
- Make sure there is at least two feet of space between the liquid propane tank and fryer burner.
- Never use a propane fryer in, on, or under a garage, porch, deck, or any structure that can catch fire.
- Cover any of bare skin when adding or removing food from the fryer.
- Completely thaw and dry turkey before placing it into the fryer.
- Check oil temperature frequently; if oil begins to smoke, immediately turn off gas supply.
- If fire occurs, call 911 immediately; do not attempt to extinguisher the fire with water.