Pets & Wildlife

The City of Oakdale is home to abundant natural areas and wildlife. While wildlife adds to the beauty of an environment, wild animals in developed areas can present some issues. Following are some guidelines to consider with urban wildlife.

Oakdale has a presence of home range coyotes, and sightings do occur. Read more about urban coyote management.

Feeding Wildlife & Waterfowl
Please remember that feeding wildlife and waterfowl is not allowed. Bird feeders are allowed but they need to be least five feet above the ground or structure.

Every year, the City receives numerous complaints about Canadian Geese, particularly the goose droppings left behind on private property, in parks, or on walkways. Geese will return to the same area, year after year, in increasing numbers. Attracting the geese to your yard only creates community-wide problems necessitating in the reduction of the population. Please review the "Feeding Wildlife and Waterfowl" information provided above. Have problems with geese?

When not in their own yards, dogs and cats need to be leashed or under other physical control. Also, dogs need to be leashed when in City parks, especially in the Oakdale Nature Preserve, and on all other public land, with the exception of the Oakdale Bark Park.

Animals which “run at large” may be impounded by the Police Department whether the pet is licensed or not. It’s important to remember that not everyone enjoys the company of pets - even some other pets. Please take care so that your pet(s) does not disturb others or their property.

Oakdale Bark Park
An off-leash park, located off 50th Street, between Helena Road and Heather Ridge Road. The park offers a fenced area, woods, pond, benches, parking lot, and a trail. 

Pet Licenses
Dogs and cats over six months old or residing in Oakdale for more than 30 days need to wear a city-issued license. Licenses are available from the Oakdale Police Department, 1584 Hadley Avenue, during regular office hours (Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 4:30 PM). The pet license process must be done in person. Please bring along a current certificate of rabies vaccination.

Pet owners need to remove and properly dispose of pet droppings from their yard on a regular basis. Also, when taking your pet off your property, have something with you to pick up and dispose of excrement.

Wild or Exotic Animals
Interested in owning wild or exotic animals? Please call the Oakdale Police Department at 651-738-1025.

  1. Police Department

    Physical Address
    1584 Hadley Avenue N
    Oakdale, MN 55128

    Phone: 651-738-1025
    Emergency: 911