Helpful Information

Frozen Pipes

The prolonged low temperatures and the increased depth of frost in the ground increases the likelihood of water pipes freezing. Frozen pipes are at risk of expanding and rupturing and causing an interruption of water service to your property. This situation is particularly true for slab-on-grade structures and split entry homes. By monitoring your water service, you may be able to determine if the water service to your home or business is beginning to experience difficulties. One sign is seeing discolored water when you turn on the faucet. Another is a water temperature below 40 degrees. To determine the water temperature, hold an instant read or kitchen thermometer under running water or immediately insert the thermometer into a water filled glass. One way to lessen the chance of frozen pipes is to run a faucet at a slow trickle to keep water flowing through the pipes. If you have questions, or if you have utilized the services of a pipe thawing company, please call the City at 651-501-5309 or 651-730-2710.

Temporary Discontinuation of Water Service

The City can temporarily discontinue your water service when you will not be occupying your residence for an extended period of time. Having your water service shut off at the curb can prevent leaks, possibly prevent pipes from freezing, and save you money on your utility bill.

There is no charge to have your water turned off at the curb, however a $35 turn-on fee will be applied to your utility account following restoration of water service.

Prior to your return to Oakdale, please  contact the City to make an appointment to have your water turned back on.  The City will need to gain entry to your home, so please schedule the appointment at a time when an adult is available at your home.

To make arrangements to have your water service turned off or restored, please contact the Utility Billing Department at 651-730-2716 or you may submit your request online.

Water Leak

If your utility bill shows a significant increase in the amount of water used, an appliance or fixture leak may be the culprit. The water meter in your home has a "leak indicator" that flashes for an intermittent leak or is on constant display for a continuous leak.

The indicator looks like a faucet icon and is displayed on the LCD screen of your meter.  The LCD screen is easily activated by a flashlight.  If the leak icon is displayed, you will need to track down the source of the leak and fix the leaks.

Complimentary toilet dye test kits are available at City Hall, 1584 Hadley Avenue N.

Feel free to contact the Utility Billing Department with any questions.

Watering Ban - Water Conservation

In effect year round, watering or sprinkling of lawns and gardens is permitted only on even numbered days for properties with even numbered addresses and odd numbered days for properties with odd numbered addresses. Violations could result in a fine.