Peddler / Solicitor / Transient Merchant
- Peddler - Person who goes door-to-door selling and immediately delivering goods or services.
- Solicitor - Person who goes door-to-door obtaining or attempting to obtain orders for goods or services to be delivered at a later time.
- Transient Merchant - Person or business engaging in temporary business from a fixed location not more than four consecutive days.
Certificate Registration / License
- Peddler / Solicitor / Transient Merchant License Application (PDF)
- Payment to the City of Oakdale - Cash, check, Visa, Discover, and Master Card accepted. To make credit card payment, please call 651-730-2739:
Solicitor Registration Fee No fee Peddler License Fee $157.50 (per quarter) Transient Merchant License Fee $157.50 (per quarter)
Once a completed application has been received by City staff, background investigations will be conducted. The licensing process will take two weeks or more.
Existing Solicitors, Peddlers, and Transient Merchants are licensed quarterly as follows:
- January through March
- April through June
- July through September
- October through December
Any organization wishing to extend their registration / license, must re-apply quarterly.
Although the City does not require the following individuals or businesses listed below to be registered or licensed, the City kindly asks to be notified prior to conducting work to help minimize concerns from residents.
- Persons who sell or peddle products from their personal farm or garden.
- Anyone conducting the type of sale commonly known as garage sales, rummage sales, or estate sales.
- Any Nonprofit, religious, political or educational organizations.
- Commercial travelers or selling agents in the usual course of business.
- Business conducted in conjunction of a city-sponsored event.
Hours of selling are 8 AM to 8 PM only. Peddlers / solicitors are restricted from premises that display "Peddlers and Solicitors Prohibited" signage.
Each person involved in the business activity must carry an approved license from the City of Oakdale or certificate of registration at all times while selling in Oakdale.