Resources for Home Rehabilitation

Are you thinking about fixing up or remodeling your home? Or do you need help making necessary repairs to keep your house safe and comfortable? There are many helpful housing resources available to Oakdale homeowners. Some programs are managed by the City, while others are available through partner organizations including the State of Minnesota, Washington County, or local nonprofits.

If you are planning to hire a contractor to work on your home, this handbook (PDF), produced by the Minnesota Attorney General’s office, will help you to be an informed consumer. The handbook provides guidelines for selecting a contractor and writing a home improvement contract, as well as highlights Minnesota’s mechanic’s lien law.”

Also, if you are considering a home improvement project, you may need to first obtain a building permit and / or approval from the Oakdale Planning Commission.

City Loan Programs

Community Fix Up Fund Loan

Offers affordable home improvement loans for households meeting income guidelines. The City of Oakdale partners with Lake Elmo Bank and MN Housing to offer low interest loans to qualifying Oakdale homeowners. To learn more, please contact Jenni Blank with Lake Elmo Bank at 651-748-2288 or visit Lake Elmo Bank's website and click on the "Community Fix Up" tab for more information.

Emergency Home Repair Loan

Offers affordable loans for households meeting income guidelines. Loans must be used to make emergency home repairs. Contact Linnea Graffunder-Bartels with questions. Find the application form here.

Housing Improvement Area (HIA) Loan

Offers affordable loans to Homeowners Associations and Common Interest Communities in order to finance capital improvements for common areas. Loans are repaid as an assessment on each owner’s property tax statement. Contact Linnea Graffunder-Bartels to learn more about this program or begin the application process.

Outside Agency Loan Programs

Fix Up Fund

MN Housing Finance Agency offers home rehab loans up to $50,000 for households with annual income of $104,000 or less. Interest rates are fixed and allow for higher loan-to-value ratios than traditional loan products. To learn more, find a lender on the Minnesota Housing website.

Emergency Loans 

MN Housing Finance Agency offers forgivable loans up to $15,000 for very low-income homeowners to finance repairs that address emergency conditions that are an immediate threat to health or safety. Essential accessibility improvements for a disabled resident are also eligible. Find income guidelines on the Minnesota Housing website. Call 651-486-7401 for more information or to apply.

Home Improvement Deferred Loan

Washington County offers deferred loans at 0% interest for households earning 80% of area median income or less. Call 651-486-7401 for more information or to apply.

Sewer Treatment Cost Share Fix Up Fund

Washington County offers affordable loans or grants to income qualifying households for the repair or replacement of failing subsurface sewage treatment systems. Find more information and applications on the Washington County website or call 651-430-6655.

Center for Energy and Environment Home Improvement and Energy Loans

CEE offers low interest home improvement and home energy loans to Oakdale residents. For more information, visit CEE's website here

Home Maintenance Help


Program helps low-income homeowners who are seniors or people with permanent physical disabilities continue to live independently in their own homes by providing a team of volunteers to paint the exterior of eligible homes and garages for free. Find more information and an application at Metro Paint-A-Thon's website here or call 612-276-1579.

Habitat for Humanity- A Brush with Kindness

Program helps low-income homeowners take care of deferred home maintenance, unsafe living conditions, city code violations or insurance policy repair requirements. Most work is done by volunteers. Find more information on the Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity website or call 612-788-8169.

Rebuilding Together Twin Cities

Program helps low-income homeowners who are seniors, people with permanent physical disabilities, veterans, or families with children, take care of deferred maintenance, unsafe living conditions or accessibility improvements. Most work is done by volunteers. Find more information on the Rebuilding Together Twin Cities website or call 651-776-4273.

Hearts and Hammers

Program helps low-income homeowners who are seniors or people with permanent physical disabilities take care of exterior home maintenance needs. Home improvement days happen twice a year-once in May and once in September. Most work is done by volunteers. Find more information on the Hearts and Hammers website call 763-502-1000.

V.A. Specially Adapted Housing and Special Housing Adaptations Grant

Program offers grants to disabled veterans to make accessibility improvements to existing homes or new construction of specially adapted housing. Find more information visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website or call 612-970-5421.

Split Visions Remodeling Planbook

Planbook offers ideas for remodeling, improving, and updating split-level homes. Access the free download here: Split Visions Planbook (PDF).