Home Rehabilitation Resources

Are you thinking about fixing up or remodeling your home? Or do you need help making necessary repairs to keep your house safe and comfortable? There are many helpful housing resources available to Oakdale homeowners. Some programs are managed by the City, while others are available through partner organizations.

If you are planning to hire a contractor to work on your home, the Home Building and Remodeling Handbook, produced by the Minnesota Attorney General’s office, will help you to be an informed consumer. The handbook provides guidelines for selecting a contractor and writing a home improvement contract and highlights Minnesota’s mechanic’s lien law. Access the Home Building and Remodeling Handbook (PDF).

If you are considering a home improvement project, your first step should be to contact the Building Inspections Department by calling 651-739-5150, visit Oakdale Building Inspection website or view When is a Building Permit Required (PDF).

City Loan Programs

Community Fix Up Fund Loan

Offers home improvement loans for households meeting income guidelines. The City of Oakdale partners with Lake Elmo Bank and MN Housing to offer 2% interest loans to qualifying Oakdale homeowners. To learn more, please call Jenni Blank with Lake Elmo Bank at 651-748-2288 or visit Lake Elmo Bank's website and click on the "Community Fix Up" tab for more information.

Emergency Home Repair Loan

Offers affordable loans for households meeting income guidelines. Loans must be used to make emergency home repairs. Contact Email Linnea Graffunder-Bartels with questions. Access the Emergency Home Repair Loan Application (PDF).

Housing Improvement Area (HIA) Loan

Offers affordable loans to Homeowners Associations and Common Interest Communities in order to finance capital improvements for common areas. Loans are repaid as an assessment on each owner’s property tax statement. Email Linnea Graffunder-Bartels to learn more about this program or begin the application process.

Outside Agency Loan Programs

Fix Up Program

MN Housing Finance Agency offers home rehab loans up to $50,000 for households with annual income of $141,000 or less. Interest rates are fixed and allow for higher loan-to-value ratios than traditional loan products. To find a lender, visit the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency website.

Emergency Loans 

MN Housing Finance Agency offers forgivable loans up to $27,000 for very low-income homeowners to finance repairs that address emergency conditions that are an immediate threat to health or safety. Essential accessibility improvements for a disabled resident are also eligible. For more information, visit the Minnesota Housing Finance Agency website or call Elena Shulman at 651-202-2823.

Home Improvement Deferred Loan

Washington County offers deferred loans at 0% interest for households earning 80% of area median income or less. Call 651-458-0936 for more information or to apply.

Sewer Treatment Cost Share Fix Up Fund

Washington County offers affordable loans or grants to income qualifying households for the repair or replacement of failing subsurface sewage treatment systems. For more information and applications, visit the Washington County website or call 651-430-6655.

Center for Energy & Environment Home Improvement & Energy Loans

CEE offers low interest home improvement and home energy loans to Oakdale residents. For more information, visit the Center for Energy and Environment website

Home Maintenance Help

Habitat for Humanity- A Brush with Kindness

Program helps low-income homeowners take care of deferred home maintenance, unsafe living conditions, city code violations or insurance policy repair requirements. Most work is done by volunteers. For more information, visit the Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity website or call 612-788-8169.

Rebuilding Together Twin Cities

Program helps low-income homeowners who are seniors, people with permanent physical disabilities, veterans, or families with children, take care of deferred maintenance, unsafe living conditions or accessibility improvements. Most work is done by volunteers. For more information, visit the Rebuilding Together Twin Cities website or call 651-776-4273.

Hearts & Hammers

Program serves low-income homeowners who are seniors, have permanent physical disabilities, or are veterans or the surviving spouse of a veteran, and helps take care of exterior home maintenance needs. Most work is done by volunteers. For more information, visit the Hearts and Hammers website or call 651-636-0797.

V.A. Specially Adapted Housing & Special Housing Adaptations Grant

Program offers grants to disabled veterans to make accessibility improvements to existing homes or new construction of specially adapted housing. For more information, visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs website or call 612-970-5421.

Split Visions Remodeling Planbook

Planbook offers ideas for remodeling, improving, and updating split-level homes. Access the Split Visions Planbook (PDF).